Acquiring Australian citizenship will allow you to stay in Australia indefinitely as well as an Australian passport which will allow you to travel visa-free to 169 countries. Amongst many other benefits, you can also enjoy the benefit of student loans such as HECS HELP loan and reduced fees for eligible courses in Australia.Eligibility criteria for Australian Citizenship includes:
• You should be living in Australia on a valid visa for a period of 4 years;
• At the time of application, you must be a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen;
• You should have lived on a permanent resident visa for at least 12 months;
• You should not have been absent from Australia for more than 12 months during the 4 years period;
• You should not be absent from Australia for more than 90 days in the last 12 month before you apply;
• Be of good character;
• Have adequate knowledge about Australia and score at least 75% or more on the Australian citizenship test;
• Have a basic knowledge of English language;
• Intend to live and maintain or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia while overseas.
In April 2017, the Australian Government proposed changes to the current citizenship rules requiring an English language test and increased the waiting period for permanent residents before they would become eligible to apply for citizenship. To date, that law couldn’t be passed. However, there will be some changes to the citizenship rules in the near future. As a result, we recommend anyone who is eligible for Australian citizenship should apply for citizenship before there are changes to the current rules.To discuss your citizenship eligibility with one of our Immigration Lawyers, CONTACT US now or leave your contact details and we will contact you as soon as possible.